Peninsula Radiation Oncology Center
Peninsula Radiation Oncology Center is a free-standing radiation oncology facility located on the campus of Central Peninsula Hospital. One of our physicians is onsite every day, so that patients do not need to wait for an appointment.
The center utilizes Elekta Synergy, an all-digital radiation treatment system. This advanced technology enables us to deliver faster, more accurate treatments, with the least amount of radiation affecting healthy tissue.
Services available include:
- External Beam Radiation Therapy. During external beam radiation therapy, a beam (or multiple beams) of radiation is directed through the skin to kill cancer cells and shrink tumors. Using advanced treatment planning computers and software, the team at Peninsula Radiation Oncology Center designs the shape and size of each beam, as well as how it is directed at the body, to most effectively treat tumors while sparing the surrounding normal tissue.
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) IMRT is a specialized form of radiation therapy. Each radiation beam is broken up into many “beamlets,” and the radiation intensity of each beamlet can be adjusted individually. With IMRT, the physician is able to shape the radiation dose to conform even more precisely around a tumor that is irregularly shaped or in close proximity to adjacent critical organs. Using IMRT, it may be possible to further reduce the amount of radiation received by healthy tissue near a tumor. In some situations, this may also safely allow a higher dose of radiation to be delivered to the tumor, potentially increasing the chance for a cure while minimizing side effects.
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) IGRT is utilized to ensure that each radiation treatment is delivered with the utmost accuracy. The position of tumors can move between treatments due to organ movement such as lung breathing or bladder filling. IGRT guides the radiation treatment by daily imaging using x-rays or cone beam CT, taken in the treatment room just before each radiation treatment is administered. Even small differences of less than one millimeter can be detected and adjusted accordingly. IGRT enables our physicians to accurately localize and target the tumor with each radiation treatment.
- Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT) SBRT is one of the most advanced forms of radiation therapy available for cancer patients. SBRT incorporates a specially designed mapping system that tracks the exact location of the target tumor with pinpoint accuracy. This technology allows our physicians to treat targeted areas with high doses of radiation in fewer treatments, while damaging less healthy tissue. Most SBRT patients receive only 1- 5 treatments over the course of several days (some patients may require a few more). SBRT can be used to treat small tumors that cannot be removed surgically or treated with conventional radiation therapy.
- Naturopathic Counseling Twice per month, Dr. Markian Babij, N.D., FABRO, visits Peninsula Radiation Oncology Center to assist patients with naturopathic counseling. Dr. Babij focuses on a patient-centered approach with emphasis on diet and lifestyle modifications.
- Patient Navigation Services The complexities of cancer care treatment can be overwhelming for many patients and their families. Peninsula Radiation Oncology Center can help guide patients through the cancer care system and assist in finding the support and services they need, including scheduling medical appointments, arranging follow up care, assistance with insurance forms, and locating resources and support for issues such as transportation, support groups, wigs, etc.
- Animal Assisted Therapy Peninsula Radiation Oncology Center has a certified therapy dog on staff at the center. Many patients find the comfort and support of therapy animals can help to relieve the stress and anxiety of their treatments.
Peninsula Radiation Oncology Center’s board certified physicians and staff work closely with each patient’s primary care physician and other specialists, to provide a coordinated, comprehensive care plan for each individual patient.
Peninsula Radiation Oncology Center
240 Hospital Place
Soldotna, AK 99669